This site contains the work of some of the last half-century’s most notable designers. Since 1957, architect Eero Saarinen’s elevated, outward looking modernist boxes – which serve as a war memorial -- have commanded a prominent hillside location. David Kahler contributed a podium-like addition to the memorial in 1975.
In 2001, Santiago Calatrava attached a long, spinal gallery to the Kahler building. This spine terminates in a sweeping, ribbed pavilion that overlooks Lake Michigan. A pedestrian bridge balances the overall composition.